Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Susan Sarandon helps reopen Machu Picchu

Machu Picchu recently was selected by popular vote as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World. It is also a UNESCO World Heritage site. It had been closed for two months after flooding caused by heavy rains washed out the rail line providing the only modern access to the site but was reopened to visitors on April first. Susan Sarandon, surrounded by hoards of photographers, participated in the opening ceremonies.
“I had no idea there were so many journalists at Machu Picchu,” joked Sarandon, who was flanked by a U.S. Embassy bodyguard and Peruvian Tourism Minister Martín Pérez. “Oh, (this is) just for me? I though it was like this all the time. So I guess that means maybe I’ll have to see Machu Picchu when you all go and then I’ll have a better idea of what it’s like.”
Read more about the problems faced by Peru in maintaining Machu Picchu while maximizing the economic benefits to the country of World Heritage tourism.

No comments: